Commuter Students


Want to live off campus? Just fill out the form for an off-campus request though the C-N Housing Portal. Simply login to the Portal, choose the semester you’re planning on being a commuter, and select “Off-Campus Request.” We recommend waiting to sign a lease agreement until your off-campus request is approved by the Office of Residence Life. To be considered for off-campus housing, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • You will be living with your parents or legal guardian within a 50-mile radius
  • You will be 22 years of age prior to the first day of the fall semester
  • You will be a senior with a minimum of 90 credit hours (excluding dual enrollment and AP credits)
  • You are married or a parent

If you do not meet any of the above listed criteria, you may appeal these requirements by emailing with a letter of appeal explaining why you need to be exempt from the housing policy. The Off-Campus Review Board of faculty and staff will review your appeal within two weeks and email their decision to your C-N email account. Appeal decisions cannot be appealed again.

ADA Housing Requests

The earlier students start the ADA housing request process, the better. Providing Disability Services with documentation about your specific needs allows them to assist in providing exactly the right housing accommodation for you. Questions can be submitted to, or by calling the office at 865-471-3268.

If you are requesting to live off campus for medical reasons including allergies and/or headaches, but do not meet the minimum requirements, your request will be processed through the Office of Disability Services.


Commuter students have the option of purchasing meal plans for convenient on-campus dining options. Multiple plans are available, so you can pick one that best fits your schedule!